Monday 11 March 2019

A quick interview with Ikhda Ayuning Maharsi Degoul, co-translator of 'The Adventures of Na Willa'

It's launch week for our latest childrens book, The Adventures of Na Willa, a collection of stories about a little girl growing up in Surabaya, Indonesia. Here's a quick interview with one of the translators, Ikhda Ayuning Maharsi Degoul!


What were your first thoughts on reading The Adventures of Na Willa

I thought: finally, a book which can take me back to my glorious childhood! It’s Na Willa!

The Adventures of Na Willa is a must-read children’s book that can be enjoyed by all ages. Once you have this book in your hands, you won’t be able to stop reading. It talks about the essential freedom of thought which all the children in the world should possess – that’s why this book should be read universally.

All the elements – places, characters, conflicts – are drawn with care and brought alive by the fun and spontaneous Indonesian and Javanese expressions. The Adventures of Na Willa is fun but also powerful; funny but full of wisdom.

What's your favourite story in The Adventures of Na Willa

All of the stories! It’s a difficult question, isn’t it? I really like ‘Just Like Mak,’ which might be some children's first introduction to ideas about gender equality. Oh yes, Na Willa! You can be whatever you want and for sure, girls wear trousers too!

What did you find challenging about working on the translation? 

I was born in Surabaya, east of Java, the city where (I believe this is fate) Na Willa lives too. Every time I came across pieces of Javanese dialect included by the author, Reda Gaudiamo (Did I mention I was already a mega-fan of hers? Well, now you know!), I understood what they meant but found it hard to express this in English.

This was my biggest challenge in translating The Adventures of Na Willa, because I wasn’t just translating the text in terms of grammar – more than that, I was trying to communicate the vibrancy of Javanese culture so it could be shared by everyone.

My co-translator Kate Wakeling (I hope I’ll have a chance to drink a glass of wine with her this summer, finger crossed) helped a lot about this, as she has a great sensitivity to Javanese culture and the words she has proposed were absolutely brilliant!

Why do you think it's important for children to read books in translation? 

As a mother of mixed-culture children, I think reading books in translation is an essential delight. By reading literature across borders, children open their minds and their hearts to new ideas, new realities. It’s like the biggest adventure for them, giving them inspiring ideas as a change to their school routines!

What are your favourite books by Indonesia authors?

***
Buy The Adventures of Na Willa (£8.99) from our webshop here.

MORE ABOUT IKHDA:
Ikhda Ayuning Maharsi Degoul is an Indonesian poet currently based in Japan. Her debut pamphlet, Ikhda by Ikhda, was published by the Emma Press in 2014. Her poems have been published in Mildly Erotic Verse and The Emma Press Anthology of Motherhood. Her second poetry collection, The Goldfish, is forthcoming with the Emma Press in 2019.

Twitter: @ikhdadegoul
Instagram: @ikhdadegoul

No comments:

Post a Comment